Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Education Questions

Family Studies Questions

General Studies Questions

Kinesiology Questions

Public Health Education Questions

Psychology Questions


Fill out my online form.


General Questions

How can I find out who my adviser is?

  1. Begin by going into your Banner Web account: https://ssb.muw.edu/pls/prod/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin
  2. Select “Student Services”
  3. From there, select “Student Information”
  4. Next, select “General Student Record”
  5. Your adviser’s name will be located on your General Student Record page. 

If there is no adviser’s name there, please check with the administrative assistant in your department for assistance.


Education Questions

What can I do with an Education major?

From teaching to working with nonprofit organizations, there are a lot of opportunities for you to use your degree in Education. Learn more about using your Education degree.

How do I get admitted to Teacher Education?

  1. When you begin taking education courses you will get information about how to make application to the program
  2. You will make application through a program called Taskstream™. Your instructor will help you set up an account in either ED 300 or ED 302.
  3. You will be required to complete a background check. Your professor will give you a code to use for the background check once you have a Taskstream account.
  4. There are two tests that you need to successfully complete prior to being admitted to TE:
    1. Praxis Core OR ACT (21 or above) OR SAT (currently 1060 or above)
    2. Foundations of Reading
  5. You can find more information about being admitted to TE and being admitted to Teacher Internship in the Teacher Education Handbook at http://www.muw.edu/edhs/ed/field


Family Studies Questions

What can I do with a Family Studies major?

From Advocacy and Healtcare to Teaching and Childcare, there are plenty of opportunities to use your degree in Family Studies. Learn more about using your Family Studies degree.


What are the minimum course grade and GPA requirements for family studies majors?

  1. A minimum grade of C must be earned in each course required for the major (i.e., Research Core and Major Core Courses). Any course in which a student earns less than a C may be repeated for a higher grade. A maximum of three repetitions total are allowed.
  2. In order to graduate with a BS in Family Studies, students must earn a minimum 2.5 GPA in the Major Core Courses.
  3. For a listing of required major and research core courses, please see the bulletin at http://bulletin.muw.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=24&poid=2285&hl=%22fs%22&returnto=search


General Studies Questions

What do I need to do to become a General Studies major?

The first thing to do is to schedule an appointment with a GS advisor by calling the Department of Health and Kinesiology (H&K) at 662.329.7225 or emailing Ms. Bonnie Chaltry, Administrative Assistant, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


What will happen when I meet with a GS advisor?

Your advisor will talk to you about your interests and evaluate your transcripts. The evaluation will reveal what courses you have already taken that will meet the GS program requirements. This will give you an idea of how long completing the degree will take.


Is there an application process for the GS program?

No. If you decide you want to pursue a GS degree, you simply complete a “change of major” form in the Department of H&K. This form will be processed and your major will change.


What can I do with a General Studies degree?

The GS degree does not prepare you for any specific job.  Your job opportunities will depend greatly on your efforts to secure employment.  GS 400 General Studies Seminar will help with your employment seeking preparation.   By completing your degree, however, you will become one of only approximately 15% of Mississippians who have a Bachelor's degree.  This alone greatly enhances your employment opportunities.


What are some good things about the GS program?

Probably the most appealing characteristic of the program is the flexibility it provides the student.  GS students may select courses from across campus based upon their interest or the availability (e.g., evening or day courses) and delivery (e.g., online or traditional classes) of the courses.  The other appealing aspect is that the GS program allows students to complete a degree who may not have been able to do so otherwise.


Do most people choose two or three focus groups?

Most students choose two focus groups for 18 hours each.  This is because they usually come into the program with a lot of credit-hours in one area.  Many times the student has one focus group complete when they start the program.


What are the most common focus groups selected?

The most common focus groups are (X) Pre-Professional Programs which includes Education, Nursing, Speech-Language Pathology and Paralegal Studies, (III) Human Sciences which includes Psychology, Sociology and Family Studies, and (IX) Health-Related which includes courses in Health and Kinesiology.



Kinesiology Questions

What can I do with a degree in Kinesiology?

Physical therapy, athletic training, and operating your own fitness center are just some of the ways you can put your degree to work for you. Learn more about using your Kinesiology degree.


Public Health Education Questions

What can I do with a degree in Public Health Education?

Healthcare advocacy, policy development, and public health research are a few of the ways you can use your degree. Learn more about using your Public Health Education degree.


Psychology Questions

What can I do with a degree in Psychology?

A bachelor's degree in Psychology is the first step towards being a practicing psychologist. But, you can apply your degree in careers as wide ranging as research, advertising, or education. Learn more about using your Psychology degree.