Founded in 1884, The W is the first publicly-funded institution of higher learning for women in the United States. In 1982, the University opened its doors to men as well. Today, nearly twenty percent of the student body is male.
The W is committed to providing high-quality undergraduate and graduate education for women and men in a variety of liberal arts and professional programs, while maintaining its historic commitment to academic and leadership development for women.
The University is composed of four colleges and the Library: The College of Arts & Sciences; The College of Business & Professional Studies, which includes the Culinary Arts Institute; The College of Education & Human Sciences; The College of Nursing & Speech-Language Pathology.
On the administrative side, the University has five divisions: The Office of Academic Affairs; The Office of Development & Alumni Relations; The Office of Finance & Administration; The Office of Student Affairs; The Office of University Relations.