Archives and Special Collections at the Fant Memorial Library currently holds over 700 linear feet of records including university office files, photographs, scrapbooks, social club memorabilia, framed artwork, and many other types of historical records. Materials in Archives and Special Collections are not available for borrowing, but visitors may consult records in the Archives by scheduling an appointment.
Collection Inventories (PDF)
Note: PDF inventories can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The archives has records from presidents Fant (1920-1929) through Rent (1989-2000), as well as a small collection of records from boards of trustees and the prior manifestation of the university, the Columbus Female Institute (1847-1884).
- John Clayton Fant Presidential Record Group (1920-1929)
- R. E. L. Sutherland Presidential Record Group (1930-1932)
- Burney Lynch Parkinson Presidential Record Group (1932-1952)
- Charles Pinckney Hogarth Presidential Record Group (1952-1977)
- James Walter Strobel Presidential Record Group (1977-1988)
- Clyda Stokes Rent Presidential Record Group (1989-2001)
- Board of Trustees Record Group
- Columbus Female Institute Record Group
These are the faculty and administrative records of departments that instruct classes.
- History Department Record Group
- English Department Record Group
- College of Business and Professional Studies Record Group
- Demonstration School Record Group
- Fine and Performing Arts Record Group
- Home Economics Department Record Group
- Science Department Record Group
Non-Academic/Academic Support Departments
Departments on campus that do not instruct classes fall into this category. This includes Finance and Administration, Food Service, Fant Library, the Provost's Office, and others.
- Administration Record Group
- Alumni Affairs Record Group
- Archives and Museum Record Group
- Campus Publications Collection
- Dean of Arts and Sciences Record Group
- Dean of Students Record Group
- Executive Vice President Record Group
- Fant Memorial Library Record Group
- Finance and Administration Record Group
- Food Service Record Group
- University Relations Record Group
The archives has received numerous donations from individual students, staff, faculty, and alumni over the years, as well as their family. Records from student and alumni groups, such the Revelers, Student Christian Association, and organizations outside of The W, such as the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science and the American Association of University Women, also fall under this category.
- Alumni Donations Collections
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) Collection
- Dera Dry Parkinson Collection
- Emma Ody Pohl Collection
- Lucille Watkins Ellison Collection
- Marie Charlotte Stark Collection
- Mary Elizabeth Bickerstaff Payne Collection
- Mississippi Home Economics Association (MHEA) Collection
- Mississippi Governor's School Collection
- Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS) Collection
- Peyton Family Papers Collection
- Student Government Association Record Group
- Student Organizations and Social Clubs Collection
- Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Development Association Collection