The Master of Arts in Teaching degree provides college students with:

  • an alternative opportunity to teach in Mississippi secondary schools (7-12)
  • mentoring and support for those who wish to teach in Mississippi secondary schools
  • the coursework, knowledge base, and field experiences needed to be a licensed, successful secondary teacher.

Twelve hours of MUW coursework are required for a Class A License. Twenty-one hours of undergraduate or graduate credit are required in the content area of licensure (must have grades of C or above). Thirty-six hours are required for a Master of Arts in Teaching degree. MAT students must have been employed by a school district within a 40-mile radius of MUW for one year to complete the twelve-hour, 5-year licensure requirements.

General Admission Requirements:

  • A completed Graduate Application form.
  • Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work from each institution attended, including MUW transcripts. Transcripts must verify that the applicant received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited four-year institution and that the applicant has a minimum 3.0 overall GPA on a four-point scale for undergraduate studies.
  • Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Test scores may not be more than five years old at the time of application.
  • Three letters of professional recommendation stating the applicant's qualifications for graduate work from persons (excluding family members and MUW employees) who have personal knowledge of the applicant's academic/work performance.
  • An immunization form showing proof of two doses of measles vaccines and one of rubella. See the Graduate Bulletin for more details.
  • A $25 application fee, payable to MUW Graduate Studies.


Program-Specific Requirements:

  • Passing scores on the Praxis I & Praxis II

Tuition & Costs:

See Graduate Tuition & Costs

Financial Aid & Assistantships:

Financial aid is available to part-time and full-time students seeking a degree after acceptance to the program. For more information, please call the Financial Aid Center at 662-329-7114.

You may also fill out an application for a Graduate Scholarship or Graduate Assistantship from Graduate Studies in Education.

If you are a licensed public school teacher in Mississippi and in need of financial assistance, please contact the financial aid office of the Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) for information on the Graduate Teacher Reimbursement Scholarships (GTS). 1-800-327-2980 or 601-423-6997 or www.ihl.state.ms.us


Information on the course for this program can be found in the Graduate Bulletin.


Application Documents

Graduate Education Application Form
Scholarship Application
Graduate Assistantship Application
Immunization Form
Reference Form


Dr. Monica Riley
Dir. Graduate Studies in Education
Department Chair

Education Building
Phone: (662) 329-7365

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Graduate Bulletin