LIFE ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
July 30, 2018
Dear LEP Participant,
Mississippi University for Women has had the honor of offering the Life Enrichment Program to members of the Golden Triangle community since 2009. Throughout that time, participants have formed lifelong friendships and learned about everything from Microsoft Excel to basket weaving.
As the Office of Outreach & Innovation, now a part of the Division of Education and Outreach, adjusts our focus and makes significant changes to staff, tasks, and involvement, we must take time to assess the Life Enrichment Program. At this time, we are committed to providing information to LEP participants regarding enrichment opportunities on campus and throughout the community. Furthermore, we hope to continue offering day trips once per semester.
Hopefully, the Life Enrichment Program allowed you to meet lifelong friends. Now is your chance to explore the many opportunities Columbus and surrounding areas have to offer! Along with this letter, you will find a list of upcoming events and classes happening within the Golden Triangle. The Office of Outreach & Innovation will also periodically publish a list of upcoming community events that may be of interest to you. We are also including you in our internal communication for campus events posted to the university’s Cultural Calendar so that you can stay up to date on activities here at The W.
Thank you for your loyal support of this program. We are proud of what the Life Enrichment Program accomplished, and we hope you have enjoyed the experience.
Melinda Lowe, Interim Director
Mississippi University for Women
Outreach & Innovation
1100 College Street, MUW 1635
Columbus, MS 39701
Art & Design at The W - http://www.muw.edu/case/art/gallery
CAC - http://columbus-arts.org/ - upcoming class: Beginning Oil Painting, regularly offers art classes
Columbus Main Street – Art Walk Downtown – 5:30-7:30 on September 27, 2018
Slice of Heaven’s Sweet Spot – https://www.facebook.com/eatthecakeETC/ - regularly host Paint N Sips
Lion Hills Center – https://www.facebook.com/lionhillscenter/ - regularly hosts art workshops (Paint N Sips, pottery parties, etc.)
Possum Town Quilters - http://possumtownquilters.blogspot.com/ - regularly hosts meetings and quilting sessions for anyone interested in joining
Columbus Senior Enrichment Center - http://www.gtpdd.com/humansrvc/senior_enrichment_centers (website w/ calendar) – hosts events every weekday, including Games and Cards, Jewelry making, Knitting and crochet, and Line dancing
Three Sisters Pie Company - https://www.facebook.com/Threesisterspieco/ – regularly hosts Bingo and Poetry Open Mic
Coffee House on 5th – https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeHouseon5th/ - regularly hosts Bingo and Trivia Night
The W’s Department of Music - http://www.muw.edu/case/music/events
Columbus-Lowndes Public Library - https://www.lowndeslibrary.com/ - sometimes offer courses related to music, such as Ukulele for Beginners
The W’s Theatre Department - http://www.muw.edu/case/theatre/events
Columbus Community Theatre - http://columbus-arts.org/events/columbus-community-theatre/
Starkville Community Theatre - http://www.sct-online.org/
HEALTH & WELLNESS
The W’s Campus Recreation - http://www.muw.edu/recreation
- Rec-Fitness Schedule - http://www.muw.edu/recreation/fitness/recfitness
The W’s Passport to Wellness program - http://www.muw.edu/outreach/projects/passporttowellness
The Frank P. Phillips Memorial YMCA Association – http://www.columbus-ymca.com/
- Seniors Classes - http://www.columbus-ymca.com/seniors-classes.html
- Adaptive Fitness (for those with limited mobility and/or Parkinson’s) - http://www.columbus-ymca.com/adaptive-fitness.html
- Water Classes - http://www.columbus-ymca.com/water-classes.html
- Mind/Body Classes - http://www.columbus-ymca.com/mindbody-classes.html
- Arthritis Aquatic Exercise Class - http://www.columbus-ymca.com/arthritis-aquatic-class.html
Baptist Memorial – August events
- Baptist Golden Triangle will hold a community Learn at Lunch on Tuesday, Aug. 14, noon – 1 p.m., Outpatient Conference Center. Cindy Widdig will discuss Alzheimer’s, Healthy Living for Your Brain & Body. A meal will be provided. Reserve your space by calling 662-244-1132 by Aug. 7.
- CPR Classes for the community are offered each month at Baptist Golden Triangle at 6:00 p.m., in the Patient Tower. Classes are held Aug. 6 and Aug. 20. Pre-registration is required. Call the Education Department at 662-244-2498 or 800-544-8762, ext. 2498.
- Baptist Cancer Center holds a support group for cancer survivors and their families the third Friday of every month from noon-1pm. The next meeting is Friday, Aug. 17 in Classroom 5 near the Gift Shop. Lunch provided. For information call 662-244-2923 or 800-544-8762, ext. 2923.
- Baptist Golden Triangle offers Childbirth classes and Breastfeeding classes each month, 6 pm, in classroom 6, near the Gift Shop. $20 per class. For more information or to register call 662-386-5592.
- Baptist Cancer Center offers free prostate PSA screenings for men over 40. Screenings are every other month in Columbus. Sept. 28 screenings will be held 8-11:45a and 1-2p. Make an appointment by calling 662-244-4673 or 800-544-8762, ext. 4673. Walk-ins accepted.
- BMH-GT Diabetes Support Group - classes are the third Wednesday each month, 10-11 am, room 6 PT. For information call Lacy Smith at 662-244-1392 or 800-544-8762, ext. 1392.
- Baptist Golden Triangle is seeking caring, compassionate people to join an elite group of volunteers to help in a variety of hospital settings. For information call 662-244-1165.
MSU Extension - Lowndes County - http://extension.msstate.edu/msu-extension-lowndes-county
MISSISSIPPI UNVERSITY FOR WOMEN DEVELOPMENT & ALUMNI
- Calendar of upcoming events for alumni - https://longblueline.muw.edu/alumni/event-highlights
ONE-TIME LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Eudora Welty Series at The W - http://www.muw.edu/welty October 19-21, 2018
- Culinary Certificate Program - http://www.muw.edu/culinary/certificate
- Breakfast on the Farm, September 29 at 9 AM, Starkville - Come tour MSU's dairy farm which provides all the milk for the MAFES cheese store and students on campus! - http://extension.msstate.edu/calendar/day/2018-09-27/breakfast-the-farm-event
- The Story of Humanity’s First Apothecary: Plants & Chemistry, July 30 at 6 PM, Starkville - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-story-of-humanitys-first-apothecary-plants-chemistry-tickets-47850157108?aff=efbeventtix
- The Homestead Education Center, Starkville
Homestead Days, September 8 at 10 AM
Join us for Homestead Days and find out which pieces appeal to you and your family! There will be 45-minute sessions throughout the day on Home, Health, Animals, & Gardening. Anyone is welcome to join!
Alternative Energy for the Home
Minimalism - Simplifying Your Home
Making Sourdough Bread
Simple Fermented Vegetables
Compost - 101
Winter Gardening in the South
Keeping Backyard Chickens
Childhood Nutrition for Improved Health and Behavior