Open Enrollment for the state health plan, dental and vision will be the month of October. Open enrollment is the one time of the year that be benefits can be changed without a life event. Benefits elected in October 2017 will be effective Jan. 1, 2018. You will receive more information as we get closer to October.


The Plans

State Health:  Health insurance changes require a paper application. Call Sharon Foster at 662.329.7211 to request an application if your change is for health insurance.

Vision/Dental: Guardian provides our vision and dental insurance.

AFLAC: While major medical pays for doctors and hospitals, Aflac is insurance that pays cash benefits directly to you.* It provides predetermined benefits that are paid regardless of any other insurance you have. And it fits most budgets—rates don't go up when you file a claim.

The W is offering the following insurance: cancer/specified-disease, accident, hospital confinement indemnity, flexible medical spending and dependent care


A Section 125 Cafeteria Plan is merely a tax savings plan which allows participating employees to deduct certain expenses from gross earnings before the computation of federal, state and social security taxes. Under our plan, we will continue to have the following options.


If you have dependents that require care while you and your spouse work, participation in this part of the plan can save taxes by pre-taxing the expense. Simply estimate your dependent care expenses for the plan year, up to a maximum of $5,000 per calendar year, ($2,500 if married filing a separate return.) Your election will be divided by the number of pay periods in the plan year and deducted pre-tax. For more information visit:


If you have medical expenses which you have to pay out of your own pocket, such as your medical deductibles, co-insurance, dental expenses, eye care expenses, etc., you may save valuable tax dollars by pre-taxing these expenses. To participate, you estimate the out-of-pocket medical expenses you will incur during the plan year up to a maximum of $2,550. Your plan year election will be divided by the number of deductions (12) in the plan year and deducted pre-tax. After eligible expenses have been incurred, submit proof of the expense with a reimbursement form or online. Eligible expenses will be reimbursed up to your annual election amount.

For more information on eligible expenses, go to Expenses may be for you, your spouse or children under age 27. Contact SABCFlex if you have questions about specific expenses.

All elections made under your cafeteria plan are irrevocable unless a Status Change occurs. Examples of Status Changes are – marriage, divorce, birth, death, adoption or a change of your spouse’s employment. Elections under Dependent Care and/or Unreimbursed Medical should be conservative. Any monies not claimed by the end of the plan year or at least sixty (60) days after the close of the plan year, will be forfeited. All expenses must be incurred within Jan. 1, 2018 and Dec. 31, 2018.



Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

All MUW benefits-eligible employees and members of their households are covered under the Humana Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Work-Life Services Benefit at no cost to the employee.

An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers short-term counseling up to 3 per
issue per year to help you and members of your household manage everyday life
issues. EAP professionals are available to assist you with:

• Everyday needs and life events
• Weight control
• Emotional issues
• Relationship concerns
• Family relationships
• Coping with a serious illness
• Sleeping difficulties
• Loss of a loved one
• Eating disorders
• Workplace concerns
• Smoking cessation

What is Work-Life?

Work-Life offers extensive assistance, information, and support to help you achieve
a better balance between work, life, and family to help make your life easier. You
can access information and self-search locators to find resources and providers
that can help you with:
• Convenience services
• Housing options
• Child care
• Financing college
• Home ownership
• Caregiving from a distance
• Moving and relocation
• Finding colleges and universities
• Services and education for children
with special needs
• Adoption, pregnancy and infertility
• Adjusting to retirement
• Locating services and care for older
• Pet care
• Finding schools
• Tutors and test prep
• Child development
• Recreational activities
• Consumer education

For more information, visit: or contact The W's office of Human Resources.

Human Resources is located on the South side of Shattuck Hall.


Upcoming Events

University Relations Logo

University Relations

1100 College Street
Columbus, MS 39701

Stovall House
Phone: (662) 329-7119
Fax: (662) 329-7123